Supporting Broader Educational Impacts Webinar
Wednesday, April 8, 2015: 2 p.m. (PT) // 3 p.m. (MT) // 4 p.m. (CT) // 5 p.m. (ET)
Leader: Cathy Manduca, Carleton College
Speaker and Scribe: Dave Mogk, Montana State University
Speaker: Michael Wysession, Washington University, St. Louis
Beginning from recent national education reports and planning documents from IRIS, UNAVCO and Earthscope, this webinar will focus on key facility capabilities that will strengthen educational impact.
Participants in this webinar will synthesize the guidance from recent education reports that bears on the ability of the SAGE/GAGE facilities to strengthen broader educational impacts. We will discuss key ideas from reports such as Engage to Excel (PCAST report), the Next Generation Science Standards, STEM Learning is Everywhere, and Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation as well as reports and guiding documents from Earthscope, IRIS and UNAVCO relating to their education and outreach activities. What do we learn from recent education reports that should shape our thinking about the facilities? Are there other emerging ideas that should be guiding our thinking about the ability of the facilities to support broader impacts? Michael Wysession and Dave Mogk will provide opening overviews and perspectives followed by group discussion and synthesis.
In preparation for the webinar, please review
- Expanding Underrepresented Minority Participation
- Engage to Excel (PCAST report), the Next Generation Science Standards, or STEM Learning is Everywhere
- IRIS 2013 Proposal - E&O Section, IRIS E&O Review or UNAVCO 2012 Proposal - E&O Section (Acrobat (PDF) 44.4MB Mar30 15)
Other publications and resources of interest:
- NSF GEO Advisory Committee Reports–Includes links to download PDFs for: Dynamic Earth: GEO Imperatives & Frontiers 2015-2020 (2014), Strategic Framework for Education and Diversity, Facilities, International Activities, and Data and Informatics in the Geosciences (2012),
GEO Vision (2009)
Facilities E&O Activities
- IRIS E&O Website
- UNAVCO E&O Website, and Field Education and Support by the UNAVCO GAGE Facility workshop and report
- EarthScope E&O Website
- Field Education and Support by the UNAVCO GAGE Facility–report from November 2014 Workshop
- 25 Years of Progress in Geoscience Education: A summary of reports, white papers, vision statements and documents addressing science education and geoscience education at the undergraduate level.
- Resources from On the Cutting Edge on Teaching in the Field, Undergraduate Research, Teaching With Data, Simulations and Models
- Microbial Life Digital Library: An example from biology, profiles of Microbial Observatory projects
- Broader Impacts: From the Integrating Research and Education project (NSF/NSDL); resources and suggestions about ways to increase broader impacts of NSF funded projects.
- Using Data in the Classroom–the workshop report has specific recommendations for data providers about data needs of end users in the classroom.
- NRC Framework (free download page)
- Earth science literacy
- Ocean science literacy
- Atmospheric science literacy
- Climate science literacy
- Energy science literacy