The National Association of Geoscience Teachers works to raise the quality of and emphasis on teaching the geosciences at all levels. We count among our members K-12 teachers and college and university faculty as well as educators working with the general public through outlets such as museums and science centers. NAGT's purpose is to foster improvement in the teaching of the Earth sciences at all levels of formal and informal instruction, to emphasize the cultural significance of the Earth sciences, and to disseminate knowledge in this field to the general public.
Since NAGT was founded in 1938 and established a constitution, the Association has been working towards three main goals: to improve geoscience education, to emphasize the relevance and cultural significance of the earth sciences, and to disseminate knowledge to educators and the general public. Learn more about the history of NAGT
In support of its mission, NAGT organizes the technical program in geoscience education at every Geological Society of America Annual Meeting. Other programs and opportunites include:
- Sponsored Sessions, Events, and Programs
- Professional Development
- Scholarships and Awards
NAGT is, for the most part, a volunteer organization. It is run by the Executive Committee that includes both elected and appointed officers. The Executive Committee is advised by the NAGT Council, which includes representatives from each of the ten geographic Sections, three active special interest Divisions, committee Chairs, and representatives from other geoscience organizations.
The Office of the Executive Director is located at Carleton College. Complete contact information for the Executive office, including contacts for publications and membership inquiries can be found on the Contact Us page.
- NAGT discussions - open to all, this email list provides a forum for community members to discuss issues and ideas related to geoscience education.
- Advocacy - this list alerts members to needs for immediate input on policy issues, and provides news and updates on opportunities to participate in national events.
- Science Literacy - this list provides updates on activity related to development of national science standards, frameworks and literacies.
Looking for NAGT's graphic standards or a copy of the bylaws? Find everything you need right here.
- The Constitution and Bylaws
- NAGT - Who Are We? (Acrobat (PDF) 116kB Nov19 13) - Janis D. Treworgy, President of NAGT 2010-2011
- Annual Reports
- Annual Tax Returns (Form 990)
- Officers Meeting Notes
- A history of NAGT
- NAGT's graphic standards
- Presentation materials for talks, workshops, booths and other events
- NAGT's policies on privacy, travel reimbursement and more
- The Workspaces gateway (account required)