Much of NAGT's work is accomplished through the work of members who volunteer their time and effort on our committees. Our committees and their members are listed below, along with their terms of service by year.
Professional Development | Programs | Awards | Grants and Scholarships | Management | Ad hoc Committees
Professional Development Planning Committee
The Professional Development (PD) Planning Committee is responsible for the planning of NAGT's Professional Development Program. The scope and budget for the program is set by the NAGT Executive Committee. The PD Planning Committee is responsible for the ensuring that workshop and website offerings in aggregate address the needs and priorities of the membership. The PD Planning Committee is appointed by the Executive Committee and reports to the Executive Committee.
- Karen Viskupic (Chair)
- Walt Robinson (TWP Chair) ('21-'25)
- Cailin Huyck Orr (SERC staff)
- Rory McFadden ('19-'25)
- Nicole Guinn ('20-23')
- Megan Plenge (EER 2023)
- Brendan Hanger ('23-'26)
- Jen Wenner (TTE Subcommittee Chair) ('22-'25)
- Adrianne Leinbach (Webinar Subcommittee Chair) ('22-'25)
- Leilani Arthurs ('23-'26)
- Mitchell Bender-Awalt (SERC staff)
- Anne Egger (ex officio)
Teach the Earth Website Committee
The TTE website management committee will provide stewardship for the NAGT websites, including setting editorial policies. The committee provides expertise to NAGT on matters of website development and use. SERC is responsible for development of the website and implementation of the committee's policies. This committee reports to the professional development planning committee. Members will serve three-year terms unless they are serving by virtue of their position.
- Jennifer Wenner (Chair) ('16-'21, '22-'25)
- Sean Fox (SERC staff)
- Kyle Fredrick ('16-TBD)
- Jon Hendricks ('20-'23)
- Becca Walker ('20-'23)
- Andy Bobyarchick ('20-'23)
- Laura Guertin ('20-'23)
- Chris Berg ('23-'26)
- Margaret Crowder (ex officio)
Traveling Workshops Program Management Committee
The Traveling Workshops Program (TWP) brings national leaders in environmental, sustainability, and geoscience education to your campus, regional, or national event. The Traveling Workshops Program focuses on opportunities to strengthen both courses and programs including attracting and supporting diverse students.
- Walt Robinson (co-Chair) ('19-'25)
- Reginald Archer ('21-'24)
- Mitchell Bender-Awalt (SERC staff)
- David Blockstein ('21-'24)
- Diane Doser ('20-'23)
- Edith Davis ('21-'24)
- Rachel Teasdale ('19-'25)
- Cindy Shellito ('20-'23)
- Gary Weissmann ('20-'23)
Webinar Planning Committee
The committee will design and implement an annual NAGT Webinar Series that serves community needs and will find appropriate speakers to fill the schedule. SERC will set up websites and technology etc. NAGT staff will to do marketing with input from the committee. The committee is appointed by the PD committee, is represented by a member on the PD committee and reports to them.
- Adrianne Leinbach (Chair) ('19 -'25)
- Aida Awad ('19 -'25)
- Margie Turrin ('19 -'25)
- Emily Scribner ('21-'24)
- Karen Layou ('21-'24)
- Debbie French ('23-'26)
- Ashley Carlson (SERC staff)
NAGT Advocacy Committee
In consultation with the Executive Committee, the Advocacy Committee leads NAGT's advocacy efforts. Membership will consist of at least five and no more than ten members of the NAGT appointed by the Executive Committee. Members will serve in staggered three-year terms. Membership will ideally include representatives who serve as liaisons to policy or advocacy committees for other geoscience professional organizations and include a diversity of expertise, experience, and geographic region. The NAGT Executive Committee shall appoint one of its members as the Advocacy Committee Chair.
- Mike Phillips (Chair) ('19-'23)
- Don Haas ('18-'23)
- Wendi J. W. Williams ('18-'23)
- Suzanne Metlay ('18-'24)
- Brendan Anderson ('22-'25)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee facilitates NAGT's DEI efforts to build an inclusive and equitable organization, and achieve its goals related to diversity of its membership, leadership, committees, award winners, and participants in all events. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee reports to the Executive Committee.
- Samuel Nyarko (Chair) ('20-'23)
- Amy Weislogel ('20-'23)
- Anika Knight ('22-'25)
- Susan Meabh Kelly ('23-'26)
- Meghan Cook ('23-'26)
- Yadira Ibarra ('20-'23)
- Dana Thomas (ex officio)
Robert Christman Distinguished Service Award Committee
The Executive Committee administers the selection of the Robert Christman Distinguished Service Award.
Neil Miner Award Committee
This committee selects the recipient of the annual Neil Miner Award.The Committee is composed of the President, who serves as Chair, the immediate Past-President; the Secretary/Treasurer; and two members recommended by the Executive Committee. No one may serve as an appointed member for more than two years in succession. The Committee shall select the recipient of the Neil Miner Award.
- Christy Visaggi (Chair) (ex officio, President)
- Margaret Crowder (ex officio, Past President)
- Michael Phillips (ex officio, Secretary/Treasurer)
- Katherine Ryker ('23-'24)
- Michael Hubenthal ('23-'24)
James H. Shea Award Committee
This committee selects the recipient of the James H. Shea Award.
- Callan Bentley (Chair) ('20-'23)
- Avery Shinneman ('23-'26)
- Tim Bralower ('18-'22)
- Laura Guertin ('18-'22)
- Kim Hannula (JGE Editor, ex officio)
Excellence in JEDI Award
The DEI Committee selects the recipient of the annual Excellence in JEDI award.
Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Award Committee (OEST)
This is a committee to administer the annual Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Awards.
- Laura Hollister and Ryan Hollister (Chairs)
- Susan Wolf (Central)
- Christopher Roemmele (Eastern)
- Mark Boryta (Far West)
- Committee Chairs (Midcontinent)
- Tarin Weiss (New England)
- Committee Chairs (North Central)
- Jodie Harnden (Pacific Northwest)
- Meghan Cook (Southeastern)
- Committee Chairs (Southwest)
- Committee Chairs (Texas)
Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards
NAGT recognizes outstanding teaching assistants in geoscience education with up to 30 awards annually. Both undergraduate and graduate teaching assistants are eligible for the award.
- Katherine Ryker (Chair)
- Rick Ford
- Chelsea Lancelle
- Dana Thomas
Grants and scholarships committees
Dottie Stout Professional Development Grants Committee
This Committee administers the selection of the recipients of the Dottie Stout Professional Development Grants "in honor of Dottie's outstanding work and lifelong dedication to Earth science education".
- David Voorhees (Chair) ('16-'26)
- Alec Aitken ('19-'26)
- Pete Berquist ('23-'26)
- Bill Richards ('23-'26)
- Deborah Steller (Daughter of Dottie Stout)
- Diana Steller (Daughter of Dottie Stout)
Scholarships for Field Study Committee
This committee reviews the NAGT Scholarships for Field Study applications and selects the scholarship recipients.
- Lydia Fox (Chair) ('16-'26)
- Claire McLeod ('20-'23)
- Lisa Tranel ('21-'24)
The Investment Committee is responsible for reviewing the performance of investments and recommending changes to the Executive Committee in accordance with the National Association of Geoscience Teachers endowment policy. The Committee is composed of a Chair and three other members as directed by the Executive Committee. The membership of the Investment Committee will include the Second Vice President and two NAGT at-large members appointed by the Executive Committee to 3-year staggered terms.
- Gene Pearson (Chair)
- Randy Richardson ('18-'24)
- David Steer ('18-'23)
- Reginald Archer (2nd Vice-President, ex officio)
- Michael Phillips (Secretary/Treasurer, ex officio)
This Committee shall present to the Executive Director a list of nominations to be sent to the membership of the Association. The Committee shall be composed each year of the five most recent available Past-Presidents of the Association, the immediate Past-President serving as Chair.
NAGT Development Committee
The development committee will oversee and implement fundraising strategies to support NAGT's programs, scholarships and stipends, new initiatives, and general financial health. The development committee reports to the ExCom.
- Rachel Beane (Chair)
- Anne Egger (Executive Director, ex officio)
- Mitchell Bender-Awalt (SERC Staff)
- Karen Viskupic (Professional Development Committee Chair, ex officio)
- Michael Phillips (Secretary/Treasurer, ex officio)
- Katherine Ryker ('23-'26)
Ad hoc Committees
K-12 Committee (2022)
This committee is charged with developing recommendations for how to increase the value of NAGT's programming and member benefits for K–12 educators, and implement these recommendations as supported by the Executive Committee.
- Ryan Hollister (Chair)
- Laura Hollister (Co-Chair)
- Christy Visaggi (Co-Chair)
- Kellyn Griffin
- Cheryl Manning
- Enrique Reyes
- Sabrina Ewald
- Alec Aitken
- Margaret Brewer-LaPorta
- Belinda Jacobs
- Dawn Chegwidden
Sections Committee (2022)
This committee is charged with re-envisioning and strengthening our framework for sections and making recommendations to the Executive Committee for implemtation.
- Mitchell Bender-Awalt, Carleton College (staff)
- Margaret Crowder (Chair), past president of NAGT
- Brendan Hanger, Southwest section
- Susan Meabh Kelly, President New England section
- Craig Nichol, Vice President Pacific Northwest section
- Sean Tvelia, Past President Geo2YC
- Christy Visaggi, OEST Coordinator, Southeastern section, GER, TED
- Emily Ward, Past President GER