NAGT and AWG Scholarships for Field Study
Application Deadline: February 14
Each year, NAGT makes several $750 awards to undergraduate students to facilitate their study of field geoscience. These awards, previously given to students who attend a traditional summer field camp, are now available for students attending field-based courses at any time of year. The intent of the awards is to support students' participation in intensive field courses in any aspect of geoscience (including geophysics, soil science, hydrology, etc.) that focuses on students practicing skills of field observation, data collection, analysis and synthesis. Awardees are selected based on the importance of the field experience in meeting their educational and career goals, the quality of the field aspects of the course, and the importance of the financial award in allowing them to participate in the program. In addition, the committee endeavors to select awardees that expand the diversity of people studying geosciences in the field and a collaboration with the Association for Women Geoscientists (AWG) funds two additional awards specifically for women.Donate now to support this program »
- Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher to apply.
- A current NAGT/AWG member to endorse your application
By February 14
You will be asked to provide:
- A 250-word essay explaining how the field-camp experience fits into your long-term academic and career goals.
- A transcript of all your college work (an unofficial transcript is acceptable).
- Names and contact information for two instructors who are acquainted with your work and are willing to write letters of recommendation for you (noting your ethnic origin, if applicable). We will contact them directly and ask them to submit their recommendations.
- The name, institution, and email address of a current NAGT/AWG member who has agreed to endorse your application for this scholarship.
Q: Do I need to apply for both the AWG and NAGT scholarships?
A: You only need to apply once as NAGT manages the award process for both the AWG and NAGT scholarship.
Q: What is the timeline for the award process?
A: The deadline for student applications is February 14th and the deadline for faculty references is February 21st. Once the applications are complete with references, they will be sent to the committee and their process takes several weeks. We usually notify students in mid to late March. Due to the uncertainties over the COVID-19 situation, we will be sending out notifications in mid-April in 2020.
Q: Do I need to contact my references?
A: NAGT will contact your references listed on your application and follow up with them. The sooner you submit your application, the sooner your references are contacted and the more time they have to write your recommendation.
Q: I don't know any NAGT or AWG members for the endorsement, what should I do?
A: Please contact the national office at NAGT and they will assist you.
Program contact person
Sandy Lynn-Proshek, at the NAGT National Office