Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Program
Outstanding Earth Science Teacher (OEST) awards are given for "exceptional contributions to the stimulation of interest in the Earth Sciences at the pre-college level." Any teacher or other K-12 educator who covers a significant amount of earth science content with their students is eligible. Ten national finalists are selected, one from each NAGT regional section. Some sections also recognize state winners. Individuals may apply themselves or nominate a colleague for the award.
The Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Awards program was adopted by NAGT in 1971. Devised to honor pre-college teachers of earth science, the program has the following specific objectives:
- Identify excellence in teaching
- Appropriately recognize and reward excellence in teaching
- Stimulate higher levels of teaching performance
- Establish NAGT as a strong support organization for pre-college education, and
- Via active statewide and sectional programs, build a solid state, regional, and national liaison with administrators of pre-college earth science education.
You should expect to receive these perks over the months following the announcement of the award winners. Read bios for the 2020 Section and State Winners. Section Winners State Winners OEST State and Section winners are strongly encouraged to take an active role in NAGT, NESTA, and all other organizations that support the OEST Award Program.
2020 Section & State Recipients
You should expect to receive these perks over the months following the announcement of the award winners.
Read bios for the 2020 Section and State Winners.
OEST State and Section winners are strongly encouraged to take an active role in NAGT, NESTA, and all other organizations that support the OEST Award Program.
To nominate a teacher for this award, please complete the online nomination form associated with the nominee's Section, linked below. You can find information on which section you live in by checking out the Sections Page. Nominations are due by March 31st.
Nomination Forms and Contact Info for Each Section
- Central - Central Section Nomination form | Contact person: Susan Wolf
- Eastern - Eastern Section Nomination form | Christopher Roemmele
- Far Western - Far Western Section Nomination form | Mark Boryta
- Midcontinent - Midcontinent Section Nomination form | Aida Farough
- New England - New England Section Nomination form | Lori Weeden
- North Central - North Central Section Nomination form | OEST Committee Chair
- Pacific Northwest - Pacific Northwest Section Nomination form | Jodie Harnden and Lynda Sanders
- Southeastern- Southeastern Section Nomination form | Melissa Hage
- Southwest - Southwest Section Nomination form | OEST Committee Chair
- Texas - Texas Section Nomination form | OEST Committee Chair
Nominations may be submitted at any time during the year.