(Suddenly) Teaching Geoscience Online
This webinar is part of the NAGT Webinar Series.
April 1, 2020
1 pm PT | 2 pm MT | 3 pm CT | 4 pm ET
This event has already occurred.
Andy Bobyarchick, University of North Carolina Charlotte
Lindsay Iredale, Normandale Community College
Adrianne A. Leinbach, Wake Technical Community College
Gretchen Miller, Wake Technical Community College
Donald Reed, San Jose State University
Powerpoint Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 27.9MB Apr1 20)
Many instructors are being asked to teach online for the first time with little advance notice. This webinar provides a rapid introduction to the elements of successful online geoscience teaching from a panel of seasoned online instructors. It will also overview available (and growing) resources for teaching geoscience online -- including both pedagogy and content elements. The webinar's five panelists have more than 50 years of combined online teaching experience. They will give advice from known best practices and personal experience on the topics of: planning & strategy, materials presentation, student engagement, and assessment. After brief presentations from each panelist and SERC/NAGT professional development leaders, the webinar will open to questions from the participants.
Although the panelists for this webinar teach at the college and university level, many of the resources and strategies are relevant to secondary-education level too.
Participants will learn about:
- Examples of existing online courses
- Strategies for moving geoscience instruction online
- Existing and developing resource portal(s) for online teaching materials
- How to Join the Community for Teaching Geoscience Online
Beth Pratt-Sitaula, UNAVCO (NAGT Professional Development Committee)
John McDaris, SERC-Carleton College
Resources from the Webinar
Teach the Earth: Teaching Geoscience OnlineTeach the Earth: Online Teaching MaterialsOn the Cutting Edge: Quick Transition to Online TeachingBest Practices for Teaching About Earth OnlineView Virtual Events About Teaching Geoscience Online
- On the Cutting Edge: Oceanography Datasets and Tools
- InTeGrate: Ocean Sustainability Module
- Ocean Remote Sensing
- Ocean Data Labs
- OOI Data Explorations
- Oceanography from the Space Shuttle
- OceanTracks online marine biology labs
- Science Courseware's Virtual River module
- Project EDDIE: Stram Discharge module
- WikiWatershed - various stream and watershed virtual experiences
Rocks and Minerals
- InTeGrate: Interdisciplinary Teaching about Earth for a Sustainable Future
- Reviews of STEM Ed virtual labs, simulations, and games.
- Richard Harwood's Earth Sciences Course Materials
- Google Classroom - Potential tool for schools without their own Learning Management System (LMS)
- ESRI GeoInquiries - short, standards-based inquiry activities for teaching map-based content
- Bloom's Taxonomy via Vanderbilt University's Center for Teaching.
- Stephen Reynolds (ASU) Geologic Structure Resources including virtual topography, 3D geologic blocks, and many other virtual resources.