GeoCode: Using GPS Data to Visualize Plate Movement and Assess Earthquake Risk
Tuesday, April 20, 2021
12:00pm PT | 1:00pm MT | 2:00pm CT | 3:00pm ET
Registration deadline has passed.
Chris Lore, Research Assistant, The Concord Consortium
Stephanie Seevers, Recipient of the 2018 NAGT Colorado Outstanding Earth Science Teacher Award, Science Teacher, Evergreen High School, Evergreen, Colorado
Shelley Olds, Science Education Specialist, UNAVCO
Participants will get hands-on experience with the GeoCoder and the curriculum module pages that students use.
GeoCoder is freely available to all internet users. Funded by the National Science Foundation.
Calling Pilot Testers
Are you interested in using the Seismic Hazards or Volcanic Hazards curriculum in your classroom? We are looking for volunteers to test out the modules with their students! If you are interested, go to learn.concord.org/geocode and click the "Apply Now" link at the bottom of the page. Or follow this link to signup to be a pilot tester
The modules will be available for use starting in the Fall 2021 semester. The modules include the five activity curriculum, a Teacher Edition, Pre- and Post-tests, the Class Dashboard, and much more!
The purpose of this webinar is to:
- Provide an overview of the GeoCode project and its goals.
- Discuss how GPS data can be used by students in the classroom to investigate land movement
- Demo the GeoCoder model and some of its features
- Provide hands-on experience with block coding in the GeoCode curriculum
- Share pilot testing results from an implementation completed during the pandemic.
Duration: 1 hour
Format: Presentations will take place through a Zoom Meeting screen-sharing session. The webinar will be recorded.
Accessing the Webinar: Instructions for joining the webinar will be email to participants the day before the event. Learn more about accessing the webinar.
Certificate of completion available upon request.
Questions? Please contact Bradlee Cotton (email@example.com) if you have any questions about this event.
- GeoCodePresentationSlides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 19.3MB Apr22 21)
- GeoCode Project: Visualizing Geohazards and Risk with Code - The Concord Consortium
- Sample practice module (see presentation slides for instructions)
- Sign up to be a pilot test