Webinar: Using the Lens of the Crosscutting Concepts to Design Effective Earth Science Learning Experiences
Monday, September 19, 2022
1:00 pm PT | 2:00 pm MT | 3:00 pm CT | 4:00 pm ET
This event has already occurred.
Dr. Brett Criswell - Assistant Professor, Secondary Education, West Chester University
Dr. Christopher Roemmele - Associate Professor, Earth and Space Sciences, West Chester University.
The Next Generation Science Standards are becoming more widely adopted across the country. Even many states whose standards aren't directly based on the NGSS have had their standards influenced by NGSS. NGSS is based on the idea of three-dimensional learning: Disciplinary Core Ideas, Crosscutting Concepts (CCCs), and Science & Engineering Practices. The CCCs are generally given the least attention by teachers even though they can help teachers build curricula around storylines and students think scientifically.
In this webinar, the presenters will share a number of suggestions (and resources) for making the CCCs an integral part of earth science teachers' planning and implementation of curricula.
- Webinar Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 11.2MB Sep20 22)
- Focusing the Lens of the CCC's (Acrobat (PDF) 225kB Sep20 22)
- Focusing the Lens - CCC Web Resources.xlsx (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 17kB Sep20 22)
- Prompts for Integrating Crosscutting Concepts Into Assessment and Instruction (Acrobat (PDF) 1.3MB Sep20 22)
- Using Crosscutting Concepts to Prompt Student Responses (Acrobat (PDF) 1MB Sep20 22)
- Phenomena Resources Links.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 16kB Sep20 22)
Aida Awad (NAGT)
Edward Robeck (American Geosciences Institute)
Missy Holzer (NESTA)
John McDaris (SERC, National Association of Geoscience Teachers)
With the NGSS Earth and Space Science Working Group