Geo2YC: The Two-Year College Division
The Geo2YC Division is a home for NAGT members who have a shared professional interest in geoscience education at two-year colleges. Two-year college faculty are an integral part of NAGT. They serve as officers in the sections and on the Executive Committee. Many other members are interested in helping two-year college faculty teach geosciences to a growing number of students in the United States and Canada because two-year colleges are a significant feeder track for geoscience majors to four-year colleges and universities.
- Upcoming Virtual EDDIE Workshop at AGU: Building Quantitative Literacy Through Science, Education, and Art
- Submit your Earth Science Week-themed teaching activities to the Teach the Earth portal
- New GeoContext Collection Provides a Model for Incorporating Social and Political Context in Geoscience Higher Education
- 2022 Geoscience Field Camps: Offerings and Scholarships
- 2023 Geo 2YC Elections
- NAGT turns 85!
- April 2022 issue of In the Trenches is now available online
- July 2022 issue of In the Trenches is now available online
- SAGE 2YC Project Publishes in JGE: Making Departments Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive
- Workshop on Bringing Geophysics to Introductory Science Courses: Using IGUaNA Modules in Your Classroom
Browse all NAGT news
The mission of the division is to:
- serve as a forum for exchanging ideas, concerns, and resources
- establish a network of geoscience educators at two-year colleges and other institutions with shared interests
- sponsor NAGT 2YC activities and make recommendations to the NAGT Council
- support and coordinate research on 2YC geoscience education
- advocate for 2YC geoscience education within NAGT and with other organizations
The officers are elected by the members of the division in the fall. You can see the current slate of officers and learn more about the positions and terms on the Division Officers page.
The Geo2YC Division would like to support your efforts to promote geoscience education in two-year colleges. Learn more on the Geo2YC Faculty Development Grant page.
Do you work with, or are you, an adjunct or part-time instructor who does great work at a 2YC and deserves to be recognized? Please click here to find out more information on how you can recognize the great work our adjunct faculty do to support student learning at the two-year colleges.
This annual award recognizes three categories of geoscientists: community college faculty, community college students, and K-12 educators and provides a monetary stipend of support for Earth science education activities. Learn more on the Dorothy Stout award page.
Click here to find out about upcoming professional development opportunities for Geo2YC faculty.
This page has links to some particularly useful and robust sources of information and teaching materials for two-year college faculty.
Join the Discussion
The Geoscience in Two-Year Colleges Portal maintains a Discussion Board where you can ask questions and discuss important 2YC issues with others who have similar interests. You can access the Discussion Email List and its Archives, and receive the quarterly newsletter by joining the Geo2YC Division.
Join the Division
Register to become both a member of NAGT and also become a member of the division on our Member Portal. Cost of joining the division is only $7.00/year.
Click here to make a submission to our newsletter