2011 Award Announcementspublished Jun 14, 2011 11:15am
Some of the NAGT awards programs have announced their winners for 2011. Be sure to check out the program pages on the website for more information about the awards and recipients.
Neil Miner Award (http://nagt.org/nagt/awards/miner.html)
James H Shea Award (http://nagt.org/nagt/awards/shea.html)
- Dr. Marjorie J. McKinney and the late Dr. F. Kenneth McKinney
Bob Christman Distinguished Service Award (http://nagt.org/nagt/awards/christman.html)
- Dr. Naomi Oreskes, University of California San Diego
USGS/NAGT Cooperative Field Training Program (https://nagt.org/nagt/students/usgs_field.html)
- Dr. Bob Ridky, US Geological Survey44 students have been selected as the 2011 class of USGS interns. These individuals will be hired by USGS for a period of up to 5 months and work on projects and be mentored by USGS scientists. Check out the program page for a full listing of the 2011 interns and the projects they will be working on this year.Dottie LaLonde Stout Professional Development Grants (https://nagt.org/nagt/awards/stout.html)
Scholarships for Field Study (https://nagt.org/nagt/students/field_scholarships.html)
- Pete Berquist, Thomas Nelson Community College, Hampton, VA
- Shelley Jaye, North Virginia Community College, Fairfax, VA
- Kimberly Thompson, Annistown Elementary School, Snellville, GA
- Christine Witkowski, Middlesex Community College, Middletown, CT
For 2011, scholarships were granted to 18 undergraduate students studying geoscience to help offset the cost of attending a field camp or other field-based course. Included in the total are two scholarships awarded in conjunction with the Association of Women Geoscientists. See the Field Scholarship page for a listing of the students and their institutions.