In the Trenches - April 2019
Appreciating and Teaching Economic Geology
Volume 9, Number 2
In This Issue
- Appreciating and Teaching Economic Geology - Antonio Arribas, Akita University, Akita, Japan
- Pebble, Alaska: Teaching Economic Geology and Its Broader Context Through a Case Study of a Controversial Mining Project - Elizabeth Holley, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- Teaching about Mineral Consumption and the Environmental Considerations that Accompany - Adam C. Simon and Stephen E. Kesler, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Michigan Sustainability Cases: An Open-Access Resource for Infusing Sustainability into Geoscience Curricula - Meghan Wagner and Rebecca Hardin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- ONLINE EXTRA: A. Arribas Supplemental Articles and Information
- ONLINE EXTRA: E. Holley Supplemental Articles and Information
- ONLINE EXTRA: A. Simon Supplemental Articles and Information
This site provides web links that supplement the print articles as well as news and web resources. Members can follow the "Read more" links below to access full versions of the articles online. To receive the full edition of In the Trenches, join NAGT
Antonio Arribas, Akita University, Akita, Japan
- BBC-Future, June 2012; http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120618-global-resources-stock-check)
- "Copper Drives Electric Vehicles," Copper Development Association Inc., Copper Alliance, https://www.copper.org/publications/pub_list/pdf/A6191-ElectricVehicles-Factsheet.pdf
- "Market Study: Current and Projected Wind and Solar Renewable Electric Generating Capacity and Resulting Copper Demand," Copper Development Association Inc., Copper Alliance, https://copperalliance.org/benefits/market-study-current-and-projected-wind-and-solar-renewable-electric-generating-capacity-and-resulting-copper-demand.
Pebble, Alaska: Teaching Economic Geology and Its Broader Context Through a Case Study of a Controversial Mining Project
Elizabeth Holley, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO
- Students are introduced to porphyry ore deposits in the context of the Pebble Case Study (see supplemental material, Holley, 2017; https://doi.org/10.5408/16-145.1). More information can be found on the company's website (https://www.northerndynastyminerals.com/pebble-project/project-overview/).
- The investment company Sprott Global Resources has a YouTube series of lectures on ore deposits, including the third in the series "Porphyries, Skarns, and IOCGs," which covers the geology of porphyry deposits at an introductory level geared towards investors (http://www.sprottusa.com/our-firm/education).
- The Society of Economic Geologists has recently introduced a traveling course titled "Economic Geology 101" which covers a variety of fundamentals and ore deposit styles including porphyry deposits (https://www.segweb.org/SEG/Events/SEG_Education_and_Training_Curriculum/SEG/_Events/SEG_Education_and_Training_Curriculum.aspx?hkey=a0009232-6689-4a89-8bd5-18776e8becfa).
- Short document about the hydrology pf the Pebble deposit area (https://issuu.com/pebblepartnership/docs/pebbleenvironment/38).
Adam C. Simon and Stephen E. Kesler, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- The United States Geological Survey (USGS) tracks the production and consumption of all mineral resources and compiles these data in annual summaries available for free from their Mineral Information home page at: http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/.
Michigan Sustainability Cases: An Open-Access Resource for Infusing Sustainability into Geoscience Curricula
Meghan Wagner and Rebecca Hardin, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
Arribas_supplemental material for print Appreciating article.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 12kB Apr15 19)
Arribas_A Little History_final.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 14kB Apr15 19)
Price_The_Varied_Roles_of_Geoscientists_in_Mining_final.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 190kB Apr15 19)
Holley_Supplemental exercise for print article_Stakeholder_Exercise.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 14kB Apr15 19)
Holley_Supplemental exercise for print article_Hydrology_Exercise_final.docx (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 13kB Apr15 19)
Simon_Mineral_Consumption_Supplement for print article_Student_Version worksheet_ online final.doc (Microsoft Word 161kB Apr15 19)
Simon_Smartphones_Stream-Sediment_final.doc (Microsoft Word 1.4MB Apr15 19)
Simon_Stream-Sediment_Teacher_Copy.doc (Microsoft Word 24.3MB Apr17 19)
Simon_Stream-Sediment_Student_Copy.doc (Microsoft Word 24.3MB Apr17 19)
News and Advertisements
- April NAGTNews Newsletter
In the Trenches seeks Editor-in-Chief
NAGT is seeking someone to serve as the next editor-in-chief for the In the Trenches. Are you interested in connecting and working with creative individuals from a broad range of geoscience disciplines and having the opportunity to bring to light some of the newest and most interesting teaching strategies and resources? To learn more about being a part of this important NAGT publication, go to: Seeking an Editor-in-Chief