In the Trenches - April 2015
Volume 5, Number 2
In This Issue
- Letter from the Guest Editor: Undergrad Research in First Two Years Can Make Huge Impact - Kaatje Kraft, Whatcom Community College
- Honing a Healthy Disregard for the Impossible: Undergraduate Research in the First Two Years of College - Niccole Villa Cerveny, Mesa Community College
- Students Learn Geoscience by Researching the Perceptions of Classmates - Karen M. Kortz, Community College of Rhode Island
- Building Success into a First-Semester Undergraduate Research Course - Deanna van Dijk, Calvin College
- Getting into Hot Water: High-Impact Projects Provide Early Undergraduate Students With High-Level STEM Skills - Suzanne M. (Suki) Smaglik, Central Wyoming College
- New Online Workbook Offers Spatial Thinking Exercises
Letter from the Guest Editor: Undergrad Research in First Two Years Can Make Huge Impact
Kaatje Kraft, Whatcom Community College
Honing a Healthy Disregard for the Impossible: Undergraduate Research in the First Two Years of College
Niccole Villa Cerveny, Mesa Community College
- Hart Research Associates. (2013). "It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success." Liberal Education 99, no. 2 (2013). Retrieved March 2015 from https://www.aacu.org/publications-research/periodicals/it-takes-more-major-employer-priorities-college-learning-and
Students Learn Geoscience by Researching the Perceptions of Classmates
Karen M. Kortz, Community College of Rhode Island
- [link /NAGTWorkshops/undergraduate_research/workshop_2014/activities/88699.html). Geoscience education research project
- Farkas, D., S. Hitomi, and J. Scotchmoor. Introducing the Understanding Science Flowchart, 2010. Retrieved February 2015 from http://undsci.berkeley.edu/lessons/introducing_flow_hs.html.
- Nadelson, L.S., and K. Viskupic. "Perceptions of the Nature of Science by Geoscience Students Experiencing Two Different Courses of Study." Journal of Geoscience Education 58, no. 5 (2010): 275–285 http://nagt-jge.org/doi/abs/10.5408/1.3559872
Building Success into a First-Semester Undergraduate Research Course
Deanna van Dijk, Calvin College
- First-Year Research in Earth Sciences (FYRES): Dunes
- van Dijk, D., 2014. Building Content Knowledge in a Student Research Team
Getting into Hot Water: High-Impact Projects Provide Early Undergraduate Students With High-Level STEM Skills
Suzanne M. (Suki) Smaglik, Central Wyoming College
On the Cutting Edge: Undergraduate Research as Teaching Practice »
On the Cutting Edge has sponsored two workshops dealing with Undergraduate Research, one focused on Upper Division Courses, Independent Study, and REU's and the other on Research in the First Two Years.
Pedagogy in Action: Undergraduate Research »
This pedagogic module establishes the What, Why, and How of conducting research with undergraduates in a variety of contexts.
Undergraduate Research with 2YC Students »
As a part of the workshop on Supporting Student Success, the SAGE 2YC program developed a set of web pages focused on the particular opportunities and concerns of implementing student research with students at or from two-year colleges.
ACM FaCE: Undergraduate Research »
Authentic research opportunities, whether in our outside of class, can be a very important part of a liberal arts education. Several FaCE projects focused on undergraduate research from a number of different angles including involving student in designing and implementing research projects, exploring best practices for mentoring student researchers, and protecting human subjects in student research projects.
News and AdvertisementsView All Website News Releases
- Undergraduate Field and Laboratory Coordinator - Nanyang Technological University
- Undergraduate Program Director (Lecturer/Senior Lecturer) - Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
back to top