Content Specialist - SERC at Carleton Collegepublished Jun 24, 2021 2:18pm
Jun 24, 2021 - Jul 24, 2021
The Content Specialist works as part of the Science Education Resource Center (SERC) team at Carleton College to support projects fostering STEM learning, developing and deploying professional development programs, to develop and improve websites, and to assist in education research and evaluation projects lead by people at SERC and partner institutions.
The Content Specialist works on the full scope of projects undertaken by SERC including professional development, website development and community building, and education research and evaluation. Working with other staff and collaborators at Carleton and other institutions across the country, this position is called on to take responsibility for completion of projects at a variety of scales. This position works independently and manages projects with external collaborators toward project goals including professional development projects and web development covering topics within the geosciences, STEM, and higher education.
- Bachelor's degree in geoscience or a closely related field (e.g. environmental science, oceanography, physical geography, atmospheric science, ecology/biology with ecology emphasis), and 5 years relevant work experience (formal or informal education settings, website development and/or writing for the web, project management, education or non-profit administration, research assistantship, graduate level coursework etc.).
- Ability to interact with, respect, and communicate with partners from a diverse range of backgrounds while supporting the work of individuals and groups equitably.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex or technical information clearly both verbally and in writing - a writing sample may be requested.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, documentation and organization skills, including ability to learn to create well-designed web pages and to effectively edit submissions from a variety of sources to create cohesive products. Ability to deliver professional presentations.
- Affinity for computer work and willingness to quickly learn SERC's content management system with coaching and support from the SERC team.
- Comfort working with professional colleagues one-on-one and in large groups, in both in person and virtual settings.
- Demonstrated ability to independently complete projects on schedule and to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with project management, working within deadlines and budgets, particularly with external partners
- Willingness to make several domestic, overnight trips per year* to support workshops, make presentations, and assist in evaluation activities.
- Ability to work independently as well as in close cooperation with a tight-knit team.
*Travel will follow Carleton College health and safety policies.
- Experience working with quantitative data, comfort with basic statistics and data visualization techniques, including developing graphs and figures that illustrate key features of the data set and/or willingness to grow in this area.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and develop website content.
- Teaching experience in K-12 or postsecondary settings or experience working in higher education.
Salary and Benefits:
This is an exempt level position. Carleton offers a generous benefits package, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance, 403(b) retirement plans with a 10% employer contribution with immediate vesting, a health savings account with college contribution, a generous paid time off.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the hire is complete. We accept only online applications. For more specific information about the position and how to apply visit: https://careers.carleton.edu/en-us/job/492329/content-specialist
Carleton College is an AA/EEO employer. We are committed to developing our staff to better reflect the diversity of our student body and American society. Members of underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.