Pedagogies for Community Service
Service Learning | Community-Based Research | Engaging Societal Discussions |
In service-learning students, under faculty guidance, work in a community on a problem of communal importance in ways that simultaneously advance the learning goals of a course and the communities ability to address the problem.
- National Academies workshop proceedings Service-Learning in Undergraduate Geosciences
- Guidance for implementing service learning
- Examples of Service Learning in the Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Campus Compact provides publications and workshops on service learning
- Promoting K-12 Community Research and Service through the Washington Earth Science Initiative - John Field, Susan De Bari, MIchael Gallagher, January 2003, Journal of Geoscience Education
Geoscientists and their students serve communities through community-based research where research questions are generated in collaboration with the community.
- Scientist-Community Partnerships - A Scientist's Guide to Successful Collaboration
- 10 Tips for Engaging with Communities
- From the President: Community-Based Research, Civic Engagement, and CUR Mike Tannenbaum, Winter 2005, Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly
- Teach with Local Examples and Data: Connecting Nearby Examples to Global Challenges
- Undergraduate Research - Learn more about why undergraduate research is important and how to effectively use this pedagogic approach.
- Undergraduate Research as a Teaching Practice - Essays of community knowledge, experiences, and resources supporting undergraduate research written by faculty.
From managing natural hazards or resources to balancing economic and environmental well-being, geoscience is important in many societal debates. In their courses, geoscience educators can address controversial topics allowing their students to develop their own informed opinions and plans for action.
- Strategies for helping students learn to advocate for their own ideas
- Strategies for teaching controversial topics
- Strategies for teaching geoscience in the context of societal issues
- National Center for Science and Civic Engagement