Director of Education, Earth Lab - CU Boulderpublished Apr 4, 2016 10:27am
Key to Earth Lab's mission is training a new generation of data scientists who can apply their knowledge to addressing outstanding Earth Science questions. The Director of Education will take a leadership role in developing this new education initiative.
Who we are:
Earth Lab's mission is to harmonize the wave of Earth observations from aerospace platforms and other sources to address scientific challenges in understanding the pace and pattern of global change to help society better manage and adapt. Key to this mission is training a New Generation of Data Scientists who can apply their knowledge to addressing outstanding Earth Science questions.
Our educational vision is one where students will gain:
- Knowledge of the grand scientific challenges in understanding our Earth System
- Awareness of the data sources and types, as well as the gaps in measurements, that can be used to address these challenges
- Facility in applying analytical tools to integrate, visualize, and analyze a variety of Earth System datasets to generate insights about the phenomenon of interest
- Ability to collaborate across disciplines and career stages from undergrads, grads, postdocs, faculty, and other researchers on group projects
- Knowledge of research process via involvement in cutting-edge, active research
- Ability to communicate results to a broader audience
One of Earth Lab's goals is to cultivate learning opportunities through a highly collaborative community and the diverse perspectives from participants at different career stages (i.e., post-docs, faculty, visiting professionals, grad students and undergraduates). Earth Lab will provide a rich environment for student and professional development through innovative, interdisciplinary course and curriculum design that takes advantage of the opportunity to lead the Grand Challenge efforts on campus (http://www.colorado.edu/grandchallenges/).
The Director of Education will take a leadership role in developing this new education initiative.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Develop an undergraduate and graduate certificate in Earth Analytics, based on existing and developing courses at CU
- Work with the larger team, and relevant departments, to develop plans for an eventual professional master's program in Earth Analytics
- Design and co-teach a capstone course in Earth Analytics, drawing on the expertise of the Earth Lab team
- Assist in managing a summer internship program for 8-10 undergraduates, including hosting periodic networking opportunities with industry, government, and other academic partners
- Design tutorials and modules that can bring 'big Earth System data' into the classrooms – both in residence and online and which serve multiple courses
- Integrate educational efforts with the developing Analytics Hub, including identify course material and opportunities to take advantage of the virtual and physical infrastructure (e.g., supercomputing resources, mini-courses in programming, etc.)
- Develop assessments that can be used to gauge teaching effectiveness and success of the Earth Lab education efforts
- Lead and contribute to funding proposals that can further Earth Lab's education mission.
What we can offer:
We will offer a competitive salary based on prior experience and skills. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What we require:
Ph.D. in education or science field with demonstrated experience in STEM education, especially Earth Science education, analytical approaches, bringing big data to classrooms, and an interest in developing education programs for traditional and non-traditional students, including practicing professionals.
Application Materials Required:
Cover Letter, Resume/CV Application Materials
To apply, please submit the following materials to the posting on the CU Careers website at https://cu.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=04386&lang=en:
- A current resume or CV.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Name-(Job Number).
During upload, please indicate the type of document to ensure accurate submission.
Please do notupload references at this time. References will be requested separately for potential finalists.