Where was that earthquake?
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered:
How the activity is situated in the course:
National or State Education Standards addressed by this activity?:
Content/concepts goals for this activity:
- Explain how differences in travel times can be used to estimate distance traveled
- Locate a starting point on a map using paired arrival time data.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity:
Other skills goals for this activity:
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
- Give students another location in the same scenario, a different distance away.
- Change Polly and/or Sam's speeds and apply to the same scenario.
- Give students some data for another of the pairs of friends and ask them to locate this different house on the same map.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment:Student handout for "Where was that Earthquake?" (Microsoft Word 139kB Oct1 11)
- Instructors Notes:Instructor Notes for "Where was that Earthquake?" (Microsoft Word 307kB Oct1 11)
- Solution Set: See Instructor Notes