GIS Lecturer, Boise State Universitypublished Apr 11, 2022 1:16pm
Apr 11, 2022 - May 11, 2022
GIS Lecturer, Boise State University
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise.
Boise State University is building an inclusive community of faculty and staff whose unique skills, cultural contributions, work history, and perspectives create a rich and rewarding academic experience for our students. Research demonstrates that people thrive when they feel welcome, respected, and inspired. We seek applicants who are committed to helping us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community. Applications from members of historically marginalized groups, including women, BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color), those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Boise State University seeks a GIS Lecturer to begin Fall 2022. The position includes teaching and administration of Boise State University's growing geospatial program, including new online options. The position will have the opportunity to interface with students from a variety of units across campus (Geosciences, School of Public Service, Biology, Engineering, Anthropology, etc) and with faculty teaching and researching in the geospatial sciences. We seek a qualified individual who can work across academic and professional boundaries for the benefit of the students, bolster geospatial research and engagement within our University, and build connections with the broader geospatial community.
Lecturers are non-tenure-track faculty whose primary responsibility is teaching courses in degree and/or certificate programs for an academic year.
Non-tenure may undertake teaching, research, and administrative duties within a specialist subject area. Less than four years of contractual experience which may involve teaching while on a lecturer contract at Boise State University or an equivalent position at another institution.
100% of the time the GIS Lecturer must:
- Teach geospatial courses, in-person and online, including introductory GIS courses for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Utilize best practices to develop online courses in geospatial sciences.
- Coordinate geospatial curriculum across campus.
- Serve as liaison for Boise State's graduate GIS certificate, GIS minor, and proposed new online programs
- Organize, as appropriate, GIS workshops and training opportunities for interested parties not enrolled in the university's GIS programs.
- Serve as a liaison for students with local and national geospatial organizations to connect students with training and employment opportunities.
- Craft a vision for the program and support its growth.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of online learning best practices.
- Reliable, dedicated, productive, and adaptable.
- Ability to actively listen and appropriately respond to students, colleagues, and leadership.
- Work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Exemplify professionalism and integrity.
- Thrive, engage, and work effectively in a dynamic, highly collaborative, results-driven, and interactive environment.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusivity.
- MS or PhD degree in Geography or related discipline.
- The ability to use spatial datasets from physical and social sciences.
- Experience with course development and delivery, including online platforms.
- Proficiency in quantitative analysis.
- Experience with program development, including developing strategic objectives; initiating, setting, and tracking progress toward goals; managing deadlines; and overseeing operations.
- Demonstrated ability to advise/mentor students.
- Professional/industry-level experience.
- Certified Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Professional qualification.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options on the Boise State employee benefits page.
Required Application Materials:
If you are interested in this position, apply online through Boise State Career portal: Please submit in one PDF document: a cover letter, CV, and contact information for a minimum of three professional references. In the cover letter, you should address the following items in this order: 1) your qualifications for this position, including evidence of excellence in teaching and experience with GIS software; 2) your vision for the geospatial education program at Boise State, and 3) your interest and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Screening of applicants will begin May 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Advertised: April 4, 2022 Mountain Daylight Time
Applications close: Until filled