Physical Science Facultypublished Mar 8, 2019 12:24pm
The Division of Science, Engineering & Technology at Howard Community College (HCC) is seeking applicants for an outstanding full-time faculty position in the discipline of Historical Geology and Earth Science. The faculty member will be expected to teach and/or coordinate lecture and lab courses primarily in Historical Geology, Earth Science (Geology, Meteorology, Astronomy, and Physical Geology). Applicants should have experience successfully working with a variety of college student populations including traditional and nontraditional students (including high school JumpStart participants) and those with a variety of diverse backgrounds. Applicants should have experience with a range of teaching approaches including the use of digital resources, LMS use, and online teaching. The faculty member will fulfill a variety of college responsibilities including developing curriculum, engaging and advising students and serving as a course coordinator which includes hiring, training and supervising adjunct faculty, learning outcomes assessment and service on college committees. Experience developing lab and field activities is required. The ideal candidate demonstrates a commitment to teaching excellence (Instructional Excellence) and integrates active learning strategies appropriately into their teaching. Applicants must demonstrate an interest in professional engagement with students outside of the classroom (Examples include, but are not limited to: serving as a faculty advisor for a student organization or serving as a faculty mentor for student undergraduate research).
At HCC, we serve a diverse student population and are committed to providing our students, staff and faculty with pathways to success. We value innovation, professional development, collaboration, integrity and respect. Teaching excellence is placed at the core of our division and we are excited to welcome a new full-time faculty member to our team. We encourage you to see why HCC is a great place to discover greatness in yourself and others.
Best consideration date is March 18, 2019
Applications can be submitted directly to Howard's careers portal https://howardcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=107335&CNTRNO=17&TSTMP=1552069157923
- Minimum of a Master's degree in Geology or related Earth Science discipline
- A minimum of three years of college teaching experience in Historical Geology and/or Earth Sciences
- Demonstrated record of teaching excellence at the college level
- Experience in development of lab and field activities
- Ability to teach using a variety of approaches, including online teaching
- Ability to develop and maintain updated LMS course sites and online gradebooks for all classes
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to teach morning, afternoon, and evening classes and varying schedules by semester in addition to weekend field trips
- Ability to teach a variety of physical science courses (geology, meteorology, astronomy, oceanography)
- Experience in course or program learning outcomes assessment.