GSA 2011 Annual Meeting 9-12 October - Minneapolis, MNpublished Aug 3, 2011 12:00am
Archean to Anthropocene – The Past is the Key to the Future Meeting Website ( This site may be offline. )
9-12 October 2011 - Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Minneapolis Convention Center
Abstract deadline: past
Standard Registration deadline: 6 September 2011
Education Activities at the Meeting
You can more information on all the activities listed here by going to http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2011/.
- Pedagogical Field Trips - This year there are 2 field trips specifically aimed at the pedagogy of teaching in the field. These are being sponsored by NAGT and are also connected to the topical session T181. Teaching and Learning in the Field: Helping Students to "Read the Record" and "Tell the Story of Earth".
- Pedagogical Strategies for Introductory Geology Field Trips Through an Examination of the Mississippi River Valley in the Twin Cities - October 7, 2011
- An Excursion to the Classic Bedrock Localities of Northern Minnesota With a Focus on Teaching and Learning in the Field - October 6-7, 2011
- For two-year college faculty - There are several opportunities aimed specifically at two-year college faculty this year.
- Workshop 524. Funding Opportunities for Two-Year College Faculty: Possibilities, Challenges, and Successes - October 8, 2011
- Session T165. Geoscience for All: Strategies for Effectively Teaching a Broad Student Population: Lessons Learned from Two-Year Colleges and Other Open-Door and Diverse Institutions
- For K-12 teachers
- Workshop 529. Hands-on, Inquiry-Based Activities in Earth Sciences: Workshop for Middle- and High-School Teachers - October 8, 2011
- Session T176. Innovative Methods for Broadening Participation in the Geosciences through In-Service Teacher Professional Development
- Session T157. Innovative Hands-on Geoscience Lab and Class Activities for use in Undergraduate Teaching (Posters) - This session is not aimed directly at K-12 teachers but there will be much in the session that is appropriate.
- Session T168. Overcoming Threats to Earth and Space Science Instruction at K-12 Levels - This session is also not aimed directly at K-12 teachers but the conversation can only benefit from their participation.
- For Undergraduate Students
- Session T146. Student-Involved Research Experience in Earth-System Science: An Effective Tool for Recruitment and Retention in the Geosciences (Posters)
- Session T151. Engaging Early-Career Geoscientists and Geoscience Students in Outreach Activities
- About Climate
- Workshop 516. Teaching about Earth's Climate History. Sat., 8 Oct., 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Workshop 519B. Teaching Climate Science with Active Learning Strategies. Sat, 8 Oct., 8 a.m.- noon.
- Session T164. Challenges and Successes in Involving Undergraduates in Research on Climate Change and Energy Resources
- Session T169. Geo-Workforce Preparation for 21st-Century Challenges
- Geoscience Educators' Social Reception - Saturday, October 8 - 5:00pm to 7:00pm
- NAGT and GSA Geoscience Education Division Awards Luncheon - Sunday, October 9 - 11:30am to 1:00pm
These are just some highlights and there is much more of interest to educators going on at the meeting in Minneapolis. Check out http://www.geosociety.org/meetings/2011/ to see all the different education activities that are happening.