October 15 to be Inaugural Women in Geosciences Daypublished Oct 2, 2009 12:08pm
A message from the Association for Women Geoscientists:
Each year AGI organizes Earth Science Week, the geoscience community's premier public awareness campaign, to promote understanding of the Earth sciences and encourage stewardship of natural resources. Since its inception more than a decade ago, the annual celebration has grown significantly. More than 20 million people learned about the geosciences, and the campaign, through Earth Science Week in 2008.
This year, AWG, in conjunction with AGI, is proposing to initiate a "Women in the Geosciences Day" which will take place on the Thursday of each Earth Science Week (the second full week of each October). October 15 will be the 2009 Women in the Geosciences Day.
We are asking for your support in this inaugural "Women in the Geosciences Day." Here are suggestions for activities:
In all events, we encourage the participation of your female members. If you would like to contact a local AWG member for help, please contact us for a list of members.
- Invite a female geoscientist as a colloquium/lecture series speaker on October 15 (or as close as possible to Oct 15th)
- Visit your local high school to talk about what Geoscientists do
- Organize events with female speakers at a local museum
- Organize a Girl Scouts/Boys Scouts event for Rocks Rock badges
- Take a 4H group on a field trip to look at rocks, minerals, soils, etc.
Additionally, if you do hold an event, we would appreciate hearing about it. Please send us a note at email@example.com. We can also help by advertising your event in our eNews announcements.