In the Trenches Managing Editor Search 2023
About In the Trenches
Articles are solicited through the monthly NAGT newsletter as well as direct contact with potential authors; ideas for articles and complete articles are submitted to the Editor. The Editor is primarily responsible for the content, including the accuracy, appropriateness, and integrity of the ITT articles.
For example, download a copy of the July 2023 issue of In the Trenches (Acrobat (PDF) 7.9MB Jul28 23).
Managing editor tasks
The managing editor works with the Editor and with the Executive Office staff to produce the journal. Specifically, the managing editor will:
- Layout each issue of ITT, including the cover and advertisements, to produce an interactive, booklet-style PDF with embedded URLs;
- Prepare a print-ready version of the October issue and provide it to the printer in an appropriate format;
- Coordinate with the Editor, Executive Office, and printer (as necessary) to meet publication deadlines;
- Copy edit and generally edit articles to help ensure that articles maintain a consistent style and layout;
- Work closely with the Editor to assure that each issue of ITT is complete;
- Lay out the NAGT Annual Report to produce an interactive, booklet-style PDF with embedded URLs in a style similar to ITT;
- Update the style and layout of the journal and annual report to meet accessibility guidelines, design standards, and the organizational branding and style.
The managing editor should have:
- Demonstrated experience and skills in graphic design and layout, including the use of Adobe InDesign and Acrobat (or similar layout software), and preparing documents for both digital and print formats;
- Familiarity with and ability to incorporate web accessibility guidelines;
- Awareness of (or willingness to learn about) the journal audience: members of a non-profit professional society focused on geoscience teaching and learning;
- Attention to detail;
- Excellent communication and time management skills to support working with a widely dispersed team.
How to apply
We are asking potential managing editors to submit an application that includes:
- Contact information
- A brief proposal describing your plan and fees for the management, layout, and production of the journal and how you see the role of managing editor supporting the mission, vision, and goals of the organization
- A current resume
- Examples of relevant work, which may include uploaded files and/or links to edited sites or digital journals
A group consisting of the NAGT Executive Director, NAGT Project Manager, and current Editor of ITT will review submitted materials and contact qualified candidates with further questions.
Deadline to apply: December 11, 2023