What are THESE rocks (and how did they form)?
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered:
How the activity is situated in the course:
National or State Education Standards addressed by this activity?:
Content/concepts goals for this activity:
1. Infer how rocks formed based on observed characteristics.
2. Group rocks into categories based on inferred process of formation.
3. Explain how one rock could be transformed into another rock, for any combination of rocks.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity:
Other skills goals for this activity:
Description of the activity/assignment
Activity 2: Students are given 3 more rocks to put in the appropriate groups, then challenged to draw the rock cycle using their groupings of seven total rocks.
Determining whether students have met the goals
If you do both Activity 1 and Activity 2, give students additional pairs of rocks and ask how one could be transformed into the other.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment:Student handout for "What are THESE rocks?" (Microsoft Word 42kB Jul15 11)
- Instructors Notes:Instructor Notes for "What are THESE rocks?" (Microsoft Word 262kB Jul15 11)
- Solution Set:
Controlled Vocabulary Terms
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14), :Introductory Level