Information for Hosting Institutions
Applying for a Workshop
First, complete our on-line application to host a workshop at your institution.
- Before the visit, the host institution will ensure that between 15 and 30 participants are available to take part in the workshop. If a department or institution is too small to meet the minimum threshold, we suggest inviting educators from neighboring institutions to take part. Also remember that these teaching topics are applicable outside of the geosciences, so be sure to advertise to the other disciplines at your institution.
- The Host institution will cover the speaker's local food and accommodations as well as the costs to photocopy workshop materials.
- Following the workshop, the host institution will submit an evaluation of the visit.
- The host institution will submit a report to the six months after the visit to report on changes stimulated by the workshop.
Applications are approved on a first come first served basis as long as the institutions meet the Funding Eligibility Criteria and the requested facilitator is available. Only one workshop application per institution per year can be approved.
Arranging the Visit
After a application has been
submitted, the Program Coordinator will send an email notification to the
preferred facilitator. This notification will include the host institutions
goals and scheduling preferences.
Approximately 2-3 weeks after receiving your request the Program Coordinator will notify you of the status of your request. If the facilitator is available, the host will then be responsible for contacting them and planning the visit. Please inform the Program Coordinator of the dates for the visit after the schedule if finalized.
To assist in advertising the workshop you may use our speaker announcement template. (PowerPoint 580kB Jan25 10) Feel free to customize the design and details to suit your needs.
During the Visit
Please encourage participants to join NAGT. The Traveling Teaching Workshops Program is made possible in part by NAGT membership dues. The larger our membership the more activities we can sponsor. To assist in spreading the word about NAGT we will send 20 copies of our NAGT membership brochure. (Acrobat (PDF) 164kB Oct25 11) Please let us know if you would like any additional information about NAGT or additional copies of the brochure.
- NAGT will reimburse the speaker for travel expenses to the host institution. NAGT will communicate directly with the speaker about the reimbursement request procedure.
- Your institution will be responsible for all expenses incurred
on-site including food, lodging, local transportation, and the cost of copying needed materials.
Following the Visit
NAGT invests heavily in the Traveling Teaching Workshops and it is important to us to know how the visits are working. Therefore we ask that you please complete the on-line evaluation form shortly after the visit.
As a follow-up, NAGT asks that the host institution submit a report to Program Coordinator six months after the visit. The report should mention changes stimulated by the workshop. This report can be submitted on-line.