Workshop Process: Building Stronger Courses
Apply for a Workshop
Application Deadlines for the 2014-2015 academic year:
- July 21 (application deadline passed)
- October 15 (for Spring 2015 Workshops)
- January 15 (for Spring/Summer 2015 Workshops)
- March 15 (for Fall 2015 Workshops)
Going forward beyond 2014-15, there will be two application deadlines per year - March 15 for Fall workshops and October 15 for Spring/Summer workshops.
Application and Selection Criteria
Host institutions or groups must be engaged in geoscience education and be in a position to benefit from a visiting NAGT workshop. However, many potential workshop topics are broadly applicable beyond the geosciences. Broadening participation can be a mechanism for bringing together 30 participants and sharing across disciplines.
Applications will be selected based on the potential impact of the workshop and the match between workshop goals as articulated in the application and our program's strengths. We will give preference to applications where there is strong participation of the hosting group in NAGT as indicated by membership in the organization. Only one workshop application per institution or department per year can be approved.
- These workshops are designed for groups of about 30 (minimum 15) participants. Many host institutions or groups will invite colleagues from other departments and/or neighboring institutions to build a large enough group. This programming is appropriate for faculty from across the STEM disciplines, so we encourage advertising beyond your department or institution. Groups should not be much larger than 30 to ensure participant interaction.
- The NAGT program will pay for the round-trip transportation of the facilitator to the institution or event as well as an honorarium. The hosting group or institution will be responsible for overnight accommodations and meals, as well as any reproduction costs for workshop materials.
- Following the workshop, the host institution or department will submit an evaluation of the visit.
- Following the locally-hosted workshop, the workshop organizers will provide information to NAGT about the impact of the workshop. This will take place via the NAGT website and instructions for completing the evaluation will be provided to the organizers.
Before the Workshop
After an application has been submitted, the Program Coordinator will send an email notification to the preferred facilitator. This notification will include the host institution/department's goals and scheduling preferences.
Approximately 2-3 weeks after receiving your request the Program Coordinator will notify you of the status of your request. If the facilitator is available, the host will then be responsible for contacting them and planning the visit. Please inform the Program Coordinator of the dates for the visit after the schedule is finalized.
To assist in advertising the workshop you may use our speaker announcement template. (PowerPoint 64kB Jun20 14) Feel free to customize the design and details to suit your needs.
During the Workshop
Please encourage participants to join NAGT. The Traveling Workshops Program is made possible in part by NAGT membership dues. The larger our membership, the more activities we can sponsor. To assist in spreading the word about NAGT we will send 20 copies of our NAGT membership brochure. (Acrobat (PDF) 580kB Jun20 14) Please contact Erica Zweifel (ezweifel AT carleton. edu) if you would like any additional information about NAGT or additional copies of the brochure.
- NAGT will reimburse the speaker for travel expenses to the host institution/department. NAGT will communicate directly with the speaker about the reimbursement request procedure.
- Your institution or department will be responsible for all expenses incurred on-site including food, lodging, local transportation, and the cost of copying needed materials.
Following the Workshop
NAGT invests heavily in the Traveling Workshops Program and it is important to us to know how the visits are working. Therefore we ask that you please complete an on-line evaluation after the workshop concludes.